Dos and Don ts - Portable fire extinguisher:
1.read the instruction manual to understand the use of the device.
2. check the rating or classification of the device to know the kinds of fire it is applicable.
3. follow the pneumonia PASS in extinguishing the flames
4. Maintain a safe distance when extinguishing the flames.
5. put signs and indicators on the location of the device. Make sure that they can be seen easily. They should also be accessible.
6. Hang them on walls or use protective cabinets to keep them.
7. undergo proper training for proper handling of a fire extinguisher as set by the OSHA or Occupational Health and Safety Administration. Follow also strict rules set by the NFPA or standards and codes set by them for these devices.
8. recharge the equipment after use and follow maintenance schedule.
1. use them if you have no idea on how to operate them. You will just put it into waste.
2. use water agents on grease and oil fires or use dry chemical extinguishers to electrical devices or anything with metal because it is corrosive.
3. aim at the flames of the fire.
4. stand too close to the fire or even plan to walk on those extinguished areas.
5. put them on areas where fire is most likely to happen making them unreachable.
6. leave them on corridors or any anything that is highly magnetic.
7. violate the standards because even with their presence you might still be at risk or more prone to the dangers of fire.
8. play with the device or even play with its substances use because of the possibility of injuring you.