Dos and Don ts - Pest control

Dos and Don ts - Pest control:

• Keep pets and children away from areas where pesticides have been applied.

• After preventive steps have been taken, you can use baits as a first line of chemical defense against insects or rodents.  These are often effective and can be used with low risk of exposure to the pesticide, as long as they are kept out of the reach of children and pets.

• Other relatively low-risk pesticides are available for some pests. Consult your local cooperative extension service office Exit for recommendations suitable for your area.

• Pesticides not contained in baits or traps should generally only be applied to targeted locations, not sprayed over the whole room.

• Use fogging devices only when absolutely necessary.

• Always read and follow the pesticide label's instructions and safety warnings.

• Use ready-to-use products (i.e., no mixing needed) whenever possible.

• If you hire any outside persons to help control pests, ask them to find and correct the source of the problem before applying pesticides.

o For example, you might have to repair a leaky toilet to remove a water source. o Ask them to use baits and crack and crevice treatments when feasible.

• Only apply chemicals approved for use in homes. o The label will list where the chemical may be used.

o Write down the name and EPA registration number of any chemical used by someone you hire. You will need this information if you decide to look up more information on the pesticide.

o The pest control operator should be able to provide information about the chemical, such as the material safety data sheet.

• Read the label to find out how to dispose of the pesticide and the container.

• Many communities have household hazardous waste collections that will accept unwanted pesticides. Call your waste disposal authority for information about your community.

• Many chemicals intended for use outdoors are dangerous to use indoors because they will remain toxic longer inside than they would outdoors.

• Always read and follow label directions.

• Using too much of a pesticide can endanger your family's health.

• Store pesticides in their original containers.

• Only mix as much as you are going to use at one time if the pesticide must be mixed with water.

• Don't use empty pesticide containers to store anything else.

o Children and others have been poisoned by accidentally consuming pesticides stored in food or beverage containers.

o No matter how well you wash the container, it could still contain remnants of the pesticide and could harm someone.